Network server management software is an integral part of corporate network health management. The costly and time-consuming nature of manually performing the tasks associated with managing lightweight, mission-critical servers and applications makes it difficult for information technology (IT) administrators to effectively streamline network health management.
Given that businesses are rapidly scaling to handle growing workloads in a cost-effective manner, it’s no surprise that a number of servers and server types are used in enterprise infrastructure – there are ten server types in all, each serving a unique purpose.
Using network server management software allows IT administrators to improve the availability, efficiency, and security of network servers. Other important applications of network server management platforms include:
- Data visualization for simple network health management.
- Automation of light and critical tasks.
- Integrated reporting, analysis and alerting functionalities.
- Built-in integrations for communication and workflow management tools.
Here’s what you need to know about Paessler PRTG and Progress WhatsUp Gold.
Read also : Network Server Management: LogicMonitor vs. ManageEngine OpManager
Introducing Paessler PRTG
Paessler’s network monitoring software, Paessler PRTG, helps you stay ahead of IT infrastructure issues. The solution is powerful, easy to use and suitable for businesses of all sizes. With Paessler PRTG you can monitor the health of all devices, applications, systems and traffic in your IT infrastructure.
Key features of Paessler PRTG include integrated technologies, maps and dashboards, flexible alerts and flexible pricing. The Paessler PRTG 500 is suitable for small businesses, the Paessler PRTG 2500 is ideal for medium-sized environments, and the Paessler PRTG 5000 is best suited for larger businesses.
Features of Paessler PRTG
- Paessler PRTG 5000 lets you monitor up to 5,000 aspects of your IT infrastructure, for up to 500 devices.
- You can identify the source of bottlenecks by determining the amount of bandwidth consumed by devices and applications.
- With individually configured SQL (Structured Query Language) queries and PRTG sensors, you can monitor specific data sets from databases.
- You can manage all network applications and get detailed statistics.
- From anywhere, you can centrally manage and monitor all cloud computing services.
- Manage all types of servers in real time respecting overall reliability, availability, capacity and accessibility.
- With PRTG’s SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) functionality, you can monitor a diverse range of devices.
- Traffic analysis using packet or stream sniffing protocols.
- Secure Shell (SSH) for Linux/Unix and macOS systems.
- REST API returning JSON or XML.
- Visualize your network using real-time maps and dashboards created with the PRTG Map Designer.
- The solution alerts you when it detects issues or unusual metrics. PRTG comes with several built-in alerting mechanisms, such as email, push request, and HTTP. You can download the Android or iOS app to receive push notifications on your mobile phone.
- Paessler PRTG Licenses are available in perpetual form. Once you have purchased a license, only maintenance plans need to be renewed. A maintenance plan gives you access to technical support and product updates. A 30-day free trial is also available. Here is the license price:
- PRTG 500: $1,750 per server license
- PRTG 2500: $6,500 per server license
- PRTG 5000: $11,500 per server license
Introducing WhatsUp Gold
Progress’s network monitoring software, Progress WhatsUp Gold, allows IT administrators to monitor power on/off status, performance and availability at a glance.
The network monitoring tool covers both on-premises and cloud environments and helps prevent downtime, troubleshoot quickly and intelligently with an interactive topology map that shows dependencies and connectivity and detects network issues. network before they are reported by users.
Other features include built-in log management, outbound REST APIs, centralized management of network device configurations, application performance monitoring, and cloud monitoring tools.
WhatsUp Gold feature progression
- The solution provides complete visibility of the IT infrastructure. The unique interactive topology map lets you monitor network devices, servers, virtual machines (VMs), and cloud and wireless environments so you can quickly and accurately diagnose network issues.
- The network traffic analysis module provides detailed and actionable data on bandwidth consumption and network traffic. It supports multiple flow protocols including NetFlow, sFlow, jFlow, IPFIX, NSEL, and QUIC.
- WhatsUp Gold’s Application Performance Monitoring module monitors the performance of critical applications such as SQL Server, Hyper-V, Exchange, Lync, SharePoint, DNS, IIS, Dynamics, Active Directory, and more.
- The Logs Management module allows you to collect, control, and view Windows logs and system logs, trigger alerts on defined conditions, configure log searches, and automatically or mechanically export results.
- Progress WhatsUp Gold’s Configuration Management module automates configuration and change management for network routers, firewalls, and switches.
- The Failover Management module automatically switches from a primary instance of the solution to a backup system, if the primary instance fails.
- You can click on any network device to get immediate access to network monitoring reports and settings.
- The solution streamlines network monitoring workflows to help resolve issues quickly.
- You can download a full 30-day free trial of Progress WhatsUp Gold by filling out a simple form.
Paessler PRTG vs. Progress WhatsUp Gold
Here is a direct comparison between Paessler PRTG and Progress WhatsUp Gold:
|Characteristics||Paessler PRTG||WhatsUp Gold Progress|
|Ease of use||✔|
|Ease of installation||✔|
|Ease of administration||✔|
|Quality of support||✔|
|Ease of doing business with||✔|
|Suggestions for improvement||✔|
|Overall Capacity Rating||✔|
It is clear from the table above that Paessler PRTG is the best overall network server management software. The solution offers comprehensive IT infrastructure monitoring, bandwidth monitoring, server management, traffic analysis, real-time maps and dashboards, integrated technologies, flexible alerts and a variety of tariff plans.
Depending on the size of your business, you can choose from different packages. We recommend Paessler 5000 for larger companies. Progress WhatsUp Gold is a fantastic solution on its own and offers better customer support, ease of doing business and alerts than Paessler PRTG.
WhatsUp Gold features include complete IT infrastructure visibility, interactive network mapping, application performance monitoring, cloud monitoring tools, real-time alerts, integrated log management, and data management. network setup. Study both solutions in detail and choose the one that best suits your business needs.
Read next: The Ultimate Guide to Server Management Software